Kitchari is an Ayurvedic made of spiced basmati rice and split mung Dahl. The combination is easy to digest, the mung beans will clean out your digestive system while giving your body a boost.
Traditionally this meal is give to those who are sick but works great in preventing illness as well.
-1 tsp. Cumin seeds
-1 tsp. Coriander seeds
-1 tsp. Brown mustard seeds
-3 Tbsp. Sesame oil
-½ cup basmati rice
-¼ cup split mung beans
(the yellow ones)
-1 strip kombu
-6 cups water, more as needed
-1/8 tsp. Asafoetida
-½ tsp. Rock salt
-1 Tbsp. Freshly grated ginger root
-1 tsp. Turmeric, fresh or powder
-½ tsp. cardamom
*optional add some vegetables like: carrots, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, pumpkin, sweet potato, kale etc.
1. Preferably soak the rice and beans overnight 3-4 hours will do too. Rinse until water is clear.
2. Heat the oil in a pan then add the mustard seeds until they start to pop. Add the cumin and coriander seeds.
3. Add the rice, beans, kombu stick, and 4 cups water. Bring it to a simmer.
4. Heat a frying pan add 1 tbsp oil, and add the rest of the spices until aroma comes up.
5. Simmer the rice and beans for about 20 minutes, then add the spices. Stir occasionally, the kitchari is done once it has a porridge-like consistency.
6. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.